Wednesday, February 8, 2012

3rd Grade

Today was bittersweet. I taught my third graders for the last time before I start student teaching for kindergarten. =(

Luckily, the kids were as fun as ever so I had a great last day today.

I was explaining how to create different combinations on the board today and I used two girls and one boy that are students in my class as an example. The little boy was embarrassed that I used him and gave me grief about making him sit by two girls so I told him that I was going to surround him with girls for the rest of the day because he was complaining too much. He took it literal, but I had something else up my sleeve ;). While the kids were working on their math, I wrote his name on the white board and around it, wrote all of the girls name in the class. He was then, completely surrounded by girls. The girls noticed what I was doing first, and as soon as he saw, he begged me to take my drawing down, but I refused, so he asked if I could at least put his future wife, Selena Gomez, on the board. Naturally, being the rad teacher that I am, I put Selena Gomez on the board. A couple minutes later he asked if he could go outside to get something out of his backpack. When he came back inside, he handed me a folder filled with Selena Gomez pictures and asked if I could put it on the board next to her name. I never knew a third grader could be so obsessed with a girl, but he most certainly is. For the rest of the day, he and Selena Gomez lived in harmony.

Below is a picture of the diagram:


At the end of the day we had some extra time and we had a nice discussion about how they would soon be getting another new student teacher. I made them promise to be nice to her. Then I made them stick up their right hand and repeat the following: "I promise to never forget Miss. Hobbs. She is the best teacher that ever existed." As they repeated what I said, they all started laughing. When they were done, they all gave each other high fives and we all shared one big group hug. There is a boy in my class who is the size of a fifth grader but has the biggest heart ever. After I told him not to forget me he said, "Miss. Hobbs, I could never forget a teacher like you!" and gave me three hugs. When the bell rang for students to go home we were all outside playing dodgeball and the kids ran up to give me one more hug.

Thinking about leaving them really makes me want to cry. I know I was only in their class for five weeks, but I really care about them. When I first met them I was scared to death! I had no idea how I was going to make a connection with them or their teacher. As I reflect on my relationship with them, it is hard to think that there was ever a time I was scared of having the ability to teach them and bond with them in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment